With the walking season upon us, it’s crucial to culminate some key equipment to ensure the safest and most enjoyable experience for your hikes. Trekking poles for hiking are essential for helping to share your weight load, reducing strain on knees when walking downhill as well as improving balance and establishing a good walking rhythm for endurance when walking uphill and uneven trails. But with so many different sticks for trekking on the market today, it can be difficult to know the perfect one to benefit you. It’s important to understand the pros and cons of using them to achieve your desired needs. So, we’ve scoured the market for the best walking poles for trekking to help you decide which would be the best model designed to be more of a help rather than hindrance during your treks
1. Black Diamond Alpine FLZ Trekking Poles
This latest trekking pole from Black Diamond offers a durable product for all-season hiking. The new sidelock adjustable technology makes it incredibly easy to use over some of its major competitors. Quick to assemble, the Alpine Flz is transitional whatever the weather by changing the Trekking baskets with Compactor Powder Baskets. With an improvement on the joint support, making the pole’s 30% stiffer, helping to not only reduce the level of perceived exertion you experience, but also resulting in the burning of more calories.
- Slide Lock technology improves ease-of-use when locking your pole
- Natural cork grip with dual-density top and breathable, moisture-wicking strap
- Three-section foldable shaft with speed cone deployment and Flick Lock Pro adjustability
- Flex Tech Tips allow either carbide or rubber tips to be used
2. LEKI Micro Vario Carbon DDS Trekking Poles
Compiled from 100% carbon and weighing just 195g, the Micro Trail Vario is extremely lightweight and has an impressive packing size of 42cm when folded together, which is optimal for long-distant hiking. With an adjustable strap to change the length dependant on its occupant, the wide shark frame offers comfort and grip on all terrains.
3. Mons Peak IX Tiger Paw Carbon Trekking Poles
The Mons Peak IX Tiger Paw Carbon trekking pole is designed for high performance, long-distance hikes and are perfect for travelling lightweight. Made from 100% carbon with high strength dense Carbon Fiber Composite telescoping tubes, this hiking pole is one of the best in the market complete with adjustable height via snap-click compression locks. The tightening nut also allows for precise lock compression strength. A dimpled top palm grip allows for comfort, moulding into your hand creating ease-of-use and strength complete with silver pole markings grants great visibility in any light.
- Collapsible trekking poles made of lightweight and Super strong 100% carbon fiber engineered for trekking hiking Snowshoeing and also as walking sticks
- Natural cork grip with EVA grip extension contoured dimpled palm grip with nylon adjustable straps provide firm grasp in any situation
- Height adjustment via two hard anodized aluminum steel and polymer snap-click compression lever locks equipped with easy-to-use finger tightening nuts
- Ultralight 7 oz ea length 24.5 - 53.1 in/62 -135 cm these 4 season poles score high on Matrix for ultralight Ruggedness ease-of-use and strength
- Telescoping tubes retract to compact 24.5 inch also include carbide and rubber tips performance snow/Sand baskets Plus Silver on Black pole markings that allow for easy visibility in any light
4. Komperdell Ridgehiker Cork Powerlock Compact Trekking Poles
For those on a budget, this is one of the best hiking poles for guaranteed light, sturdy and stable sticks. Made entirely of metal (both carbon and titanal), it’s durable amongst fractured, rocky terrain and the adjustable stick ensures flexible transportation and a reliable tool for weight balancing.
Best Budget choice
5. TrailBuddy Trekking Poles
The cost-efficient TrailBuddy Poles offers the best combination of durable strength and lightweight portability in a complete set made especially for your comfort and ease of use. The aluminium base works well under lateral pressure and is durable enough under extreme pressures and all-weathers. TrailBuddy’s flip-locks can be assembled easily and is super helpful with
packing the sticks for long journeys and have a no-slip handling guarantee.
- TOUGHER THAN CARBON FIBER - TrailBuddy Trekking Poles' tough aluminum can withstand pressure and impact better than carbon fiber - crucial if hiking on rocky terrain or supporting heavier weight
- LIGHT AIRCRAFT GRADE ALUMINUM - Aluminum 7075 hiking sticks weigh up to 4 ounces less than typical 6061 Aluminum common in hiking sticks - making it the perfect gift for an outdoor enthusiast!
- EASIER TO ADJUST THAN TWIST LOCK - Changing the height of these telescoping poles from 24.5 to 54 inches is a breeze even when you're wearing gloves or trekking in wet conditions thanks to its lever-locks
- BUILT FOR YOUR COMFORT - Cork handles are comfy to use in both hot and cold temperatures, are moisture-wicking, and mold to the shape of your hand while the strap is padded to avoid chafing your skin
- GET YOUR COMPLETE SET NOW - Available in beautiful black, blue, red, green, yellow, pink, purple, and aqua colors, these poles also come with a carrying bag, 2 pairs rubber tips , 1 pair connectors, mud baskets, and snow baskets (snow baskets for light snowshoeing only, NOT for skiing)
6. Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking
Based on weight and price, this is the best model on the market assuring easily operation, a lightweight feel, sturdy and a compatible product. These poles provide a variety of shaft materials, grips and locking mechanisms for hikers of all abilities. The trekking poles are available in both EVA foam and cork grip options. Cork grips provide comfort as well as a firm grip, eliminating any sweat. EVA grips also absorb moisture and provide a smooth comfortable grip. The Tungsten Carbide Tip is a durable tip that works for most hikes on rocky terrains. Grooves in the tip grab terrain providing stability and confidence while trekking.
- HIGH QUALITY STRONG VALUE – Poles are built with 100% carbon fiber. User friendly for beginners and strong enough for thru-hikers. Strong enough to withstand the pressure and the impact of any terrain
- LIGHT WEIGHT & COMPACT POLES – 7. 8 oz. or less than a pound - our carbon fiber poles provide hikers, walkers, back packers, campers and many more The best option for a light weight strong pole.
- QUICK LOCK & EXTENDABLE- Need to adjust your pole height when trekking up a hill, or a downward slope? Our quick lock will support you during all your adventures, It is easy use and Reliable for holding the pole at the desired height ranging from 26”- 54”
- COMFORTABLE CORK GRIP – Cork grips provide exceptional comfort, lower the vibration as you step, and wicks away sweat. Our poles also include tungsten carbide tips and adjustable wrist straps. Bonus tip kit includes: snow basket, boots, small rubber feet.
- WE STAND BEHIND OUR BRAND- Let us know if we can help you with your trekking needs or replace any parts under. Our poles were designed to fit the needs of women, men, and kids hiking trips. Try our poles out for your next adventure!
The best trekking poles can be extremely advantageous for hikers, reducing the strain and force of gravity when hiking downhill. Efficient use of trekking poles requires technique and an awareness of incorrect usage. For the cost-effective and quality seekers out there, the Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking poles are perfect for this year’s staycation. If you don’t have a budget and want an all-round, quality, effective, durable and flexible product then you can’t beat the Black Diamond range.As always, place the safety features of any hiking product as the highest priority of any purchase. Do your research and, most importantly, enjoy your hike!