For us lovers of the great outdoors, hiking is a part of our new exercise regimes. Not only does it give you that quality ‘me’ time whilst taking in breath-taking sights, but it also provides that outstanding sense of accomplishment, releasing those much-needed endorphins and – let’s not forget – it’s a guaranteed calorie burner.
However, hiking also comes with that question of: what is the best makeup for trekking and how can we protect our skin in all humidity’s; how can we stay flawless whilst maintaining fitness; What is the best make-up on the market for hiking? Of course, you want to find that balance between the ‘natural’ look and ensuring you still feel your absolute best.
Worry not dolls, we’ve put together the perfect product list to preserve your outdoor look.
1. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Spf 50+ Shaka Fluid 50ml
Firstly, you must prep your skin with a good Spf, obviously to protect against the sun’s harmful rays, but also because the right one can act as a great make-up primer too. The Shaka Fluid is ideal as a natural base, not only is it a dream under make-up, its lightweight formula works for all skin types and is easily absorbed, giving the impression of a naked face. With an Spf of 50+ it provides the best protection against UV rays, stopping those pesky wrinkles in their
- Uva and UVB + Antioxidant
- Fragrance and Paraben Free
- Anti oxidants to help protect skin from al aggressors
- 100% mineral UV filter protection
- Water-resistant broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection
2. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser
If you’re looking for a hint of colour, using a tinted moisturiser over your face is the perfect way to gain sheer coverage and even out skin tone without the heaviness of a proper base. This product is up there as one of the best make-up for exercise, as it will significantly reduce the risk of clogging up your pores rather than if you used a durable foundation. Our ultimate go-to cult classic is Laura Mercier – basically the original holy grail of moisturiser. Available in 20 shades, you’ll be able to find your match, and with an Spf of 30, it also offers that extra protection.
- Lock in moisture and give enhanced antioxidant protection.
- Ideal protection from the sun's harmful, skin-damaging rays.
- Vitamin complex of C & E
3. E.l.f. Cosmetics 16HR Camo Concealer
If your skin is prone to breakouts, or for those who just need that little extra bit of coverage, but don’t have a big budget for your gym make-up bag, then e.l.f. Camo Concealer is optimal for your au natural hiking face. Available to purchase at any drugstore, the long-lasting concealer can be added under the eyes and on blemishes for a little extra confidence-boost whilst out. It’s also a great top up product to stick in your travel-size make-up kit.
TOP TIP: Always go for a shade lighter than your original colour as it dries slightly darker than expected.
- Lasting coverage: This lightweight, full-coverage formula doesn't flake and leaves a satin finish. Camouflage blemishes, dark under-eye circles, redness, and more with this hydrating and longwearing concealer.
- How to wear: prep under eye area with moisturizer and primer, and use doe-foot applicator to apply to desired area. Blend using brush, fingers, or blender sponge for desired coverage.
- 100% cruelty-free & Vegan: proud to be 100% vegan and cruelty-free, worldwide. Because kindness is chic.
- Free from: all E.L.F. Products are 100% free from phthalates, parabens, nonylphenol, Ethoxylates, triclosan, triclocarban, and hydroquinone.
- Beauty for all: e.l.f. Cosmetics provides professional-quality products at get-real prices, because we believe beauty should be accessible to every eye, lip, and face.
4. NYX Professional Make-up Micro Brow Pencil, Dual Ended with Mechanical Brow Pencil and Spoolie Brush, Vegan Formula
I’m sure you agree, no look is complete without perfect brows. Our absolute favourite is the NYX brow pencil. It’s the ultimate product if you’re looking to achieve that fluffy, natural brow look. Complete with a spoolie brush, the colour and blend will really help your brows stand-out in the most impeccable way.
- Sculpt Beautiful Brows: Shape, define, and fill in sparse or over tweezed brows with our ultra skinny Micro Brow Pencil; So precise it coats even the finest hairs with color for a natural looking finish
- Super Skinny Tip: Our super skinny tip draws extra fine lines so you can easily create the look of natural brow hairs
- Eyebrow Enhancer: Up your eyebrow game with NYX Professional Makeup eyebrow products; Quality creams, brow gels, eyebrow pencils, eyebrow markers, and dip eyebrow powder for different eyebrow looks
- Cruelty Free Cosmetics: We believe animals belong in our arms, not in a lab; All of our makeup is certified and acknowledged by PETA as a cruelty free brand; We don't test any of our products on animals
- Discover NYX Professional Makeup: Try all of our professional makeup and beauty products today, from eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara and false lashes to lipstick, foundation, primer, blush, bronzer, brushes and more
5. Maybelline Mascara, Lash Sensational Volumizing and Thickening Mascara Black
As our eyes are the window to our soul (or so they say) we all need that little something extra to make them ‘pop’. Even if the rest of your face is naked, dressing our lashes is a must for hiding tiredness and accentuating our features. But, of course, we don’t want our black mascara to streak down our face, creating panda eyes, after a tough trek. This ideal fitness-friendly, sweatproof make-up from Maybelline ensures our lashes reach their full volume potential for longer.
No products found.
6. Daniel Sandler Watercolour Liquid Blush
For a pinch of warmth to your cheeks on even the coldest day in the mountains, try watercolour blush from Daniel Sandler. Its water-like consistency provides a glowy, healthy wash of colour and blends into your skin perfectly, not sitting on top like some other market-leading blushes. If you’re looking for a quick & easy instant contour with lasting results, this oil-free formula is ideal for all skin-types and can be squeezed into any travel bag for all your feel-good camping needs.
TOP TIP: Shake the bottle to mix before each use for maximum impact.
7. Urban Decay all-nighter Long Lasting Make-Up Setting Spray 118ml
Finally, you have your natural glow sorted, now it’s time to set your look in with the Urban Decay All-Nighter spray. It can last throughout any form of wind, rain, sunshine or sleet to help those feel-good make-up vibes continue throughout the hike.
Lasting up to 16 hours, it controls shine and provides a gentle mask from the rain and sweat.
- LONG-LASTING MAKEUP SETTING SPRAY - Our award-winning, vegan All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray locks in your look to ensure all-day, flawless makeup. Packaging may vary.
- OIL-FREE, MICROFINE MIST - This oil-free, microfine finishing spray goes on evenly and weightlessly for natural, smoother-looking skin and more vibrant makeup. Our non-drying formula is suitable for all skin types, including oily skin!
- LASTS UP TO 16 HOURS - Keeps makeup looking fresh for up to 16 hours without smudging, fading, or settling into fine lines. Mist this cruelty-free, waterproof formula over foundation, concealer, face makeup, and eye makeup.
- TEMPERATURE CONTROL TECHNOLOGY - With patented Temperature Control Technology, this lightweight, paraben-free setting spray actually lowers makeup temperature—from powder and blush to eyeshadow and lipstick—to lock your look in place.
- FOR ALL SKIN TYPES - Suitable for all skin types, including normal skin and dry skin. In a 7-day, 50-person study, more than 88% of the participants said All Nighter was the best product to help their makeup last, whether they had combination, oily, or dry skin.
There you have it, your very own list of perfect products to keep your face flawless for the ultimate feel-good hiking experience.
For the cost-effective yet quality seekers out there, Maybelline and e.l.f are this years’ must-haves in any travel make-up bag.
If budget isn’t your top priority and you’re just looking to treat your skin, then we highly recommend you splash out on the facial basics with the Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser complete with Spf. However, it’s important not to forget to protect your lips too as it’s the thinnest skin on our face but we always forget to look after them. Maybelline baby lips contain Spf 30
A few final tips from us which are imperative for your expedition is to always carry water – hydration is key, hand-sanitizer, a camera to capture some stunning views and last but definitely not least – don’t forget snacks!